Dear customer, welcome to your Cornice-Direct DIY Fixing Instructions.
Particularly if you have not fitted coving or cornice before please follow our fitting instructions. Please read carefully for a hassle free Installation...
Our mouldings are made in the traditional way with fine casting materials using Hessians and lathes, some even come complete with fixing points.
1) It is recommended that before fitting, to cover the back of the plaster moulding or cornice with one coat of PVA sealant, available from your local DIY store or builder’s merchant. Additionally PVA the area of wall or ceiling the moulding is to be attached to.
2) With cornice - using a string or chalk line, mark (or ping) a line from both corners, then score the wall, PVA this area ready for the fixing adhesive (not supplied) to adhere to when the cornice is attached and drying.
3) Mix your adhesive into a very thick paste, generously trowel along the edge of the marked out wall along the ceiling edge. Please follow manufacturer’s instructions as stated with the adhesive.
4) To ensure the long length of cornice is placed over the adhesive as a straight level length, it is recommended that either small metal “L” brackets or timber blocks are screwed to the wall at the correct level prior to starting work. If the brackets are fixed 5 to 10mm lower than required it is easier to pack up the cornice accurately using small timber wedges over these brackets.
5) Once fixed, complete your cornice using the spare adhesive to fill in any gaps underneath the length caused from uneven walls and any gaps in corner mitre joints, using small tools and trowels or scrapers.
6) Leave to dry minimum of 24 hours before rubbing down, 2 to 3 days before painting.
We recommend using a high-quality adhesive as “Fibre-Fix” this is available from our sales in 5-litre plastic tubs, also as is PVA adhesive.
If the wall is very uneven and/or the plaster is heavy use screws/plugs to fix.